Watch the first 15 minutes of The Black Mirror: Nosedive
Go over vocabulary and use discussion questions to talk about the episode.
- Which social networking sites do you use? Why those? or why don’t you use any?
- On which sites and apps do you rate things or give feedback?
- How do you decide whether to like, heart, or thumbs up something?
- Do you think ‘personal ratings’ are a good idea? Why or why not?
- What about as part of the gig economy or service sites like Uber?
- What information are you comfortable posting publicly? with sns contacts?
- What motivates you to post things online? What do you post?
- Does using SNS result in any stress, self-doubt, or insecurities?
- Do you have friends that are primarily ‘online friends’?
- What have been the most meaningful experiences you’ve had online?
- What have been some of the worst experiences you’ve had online?
- How much do you notice or care about who and how much people respond to your posts?
- How do you feel about interacting with your parents and other family members online?
- Is there any difference between the ‘real you’ and ‘social media’ you?
- Do you know people whose real lives are very different from the life they show online?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of a system like the one shown in Black Mirror?